Thursday, January 17, 2008

To Sleep or To Clean...Thats the ?

So, it is 1:25am and I can't sleep so I thought I would blog. Hmm what to talk about?... I guess the things that are keeping me up so here goes. My house is a major disaster! Like call in the national guard disaster. I am not even over exaggerating. Being bed rested for 14 weeks really takes its toll on a home. I will admit I Hate house work and my house is very rarely spotless but it is usually clean and cozy. My "To Do "list is so long. I have been laying here doing it in my head and now I have so many "Must Do's" running around I was feeling like why sleep when I could be using this time to clean! And yet here I sit Blogging. Not a good sign for the kitchen floor. Karl has really been doing his best but sheesh you can only ask so much for so long before things fall through the cracks. When I was first put on bed rest we were told not to expect to bring a baby home in 8 months. That was enough for us to decide we would only tell our very immediate family and the people my being bed rested would directly affect and we swore them all to secrecy. With this decision we lost the chance to get the usual help that may have normally been offered by friends and family. No big deal we were sure we could handle it all between the two of us and our family members. So what if our kid’s clothes were wrinkled and their socks didn't match. I pretty much stopped doing Kippi's hair in anything but a pony or a braid. And all the boys went w/o haircuts for ages! When I finally told my visiting teaching companion (who was also sworn to secrecy) because really how many months can you dog out before they call the RF pres. on you? She gave me this whole shpeal about how we were denying others blessing by not allowing them to serve us. Okay I am sorry to all of you who didn't get blessed because of my pride. But by then it looked like a hurricane had come through and nothing was getting me to open my doors to anyone! That was right before Christmas and it has only gotten worse. So now that I am off of bed rest I find myself overwhelmed. I mean really overwhelmed! It is going to take at least a week, a full week people just to do the laundry! Yes we have that much laundry it's sad I know. The kitchen floor hasn't been mopped in 14 weeks. For those of you who feel like judging my house of nastiness please keep this in mind. My kids are 8, 5, & 2 and they can only do so much. Granted they have been amazing! But mopping was just too risky. There are too many possibilities that I couldn't clean up after like a big bucket of water dumped on the floor and soaking into the living room and so on. Karl has been going to school full time and working 4 jobs then he comes home and cooks and does anything I couldn't do with the kids and then come the chores. At this point you have to decide what comes first mopping or cleaning the toilet and taking out the trash? Then it’s homework and back to work. The man has been worked to the death and he isn't even getting anything in return if ya know what I mean (Doctors orders) and yes I did just share that so sorry. So I guess my point is I am the only one who gets to judge me and mine right now (call me selfish). I will say I am truly grateful for the very first time that my house is so teeny tiny because that means less house to clean for me woo hoo! I just need to stay positive and think how great it is that I won’t have to do my Really Big spring clean because it will already be done (hopefully...better be!). Oh if only I were in the Nesting phase I could really work that toward my advantage but no such luck (go figure). Ah well life must go on and that includes life’s dirty parts too. By the way this is not a hint. I want no, and I mean No offers to help me clean. I will turn you down flat so just don’t put yourself out there for that kind of rejection. Seriously. No offense but this is my mess and I will clean it. It is a pride thing and I am working on it. Maybe next time a hurricane blasts through my house for weeks on end I will invite everyone over and we can have a big cleaning party but until then you are all off the hook. Well now that it is almost 2AM I think I'd better call it a night. Until next time -N

5 comments:

A & K said...

Hey Niki! Please add me and I'll do the same! I'm glad you found me!

Ms. Kristen said...

I would come and help! It is fun to clean someone elses house! I know, you can clean mine and I will clean yours! Thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog! See you tommorrow!

owona said...

OH Nik, I know how much it stresses you out to not have a clean home, so I'm sorry that things have piled up because of something you couldn't control. Now that you're off bed rest you can really focus on it, if you want. I know the first thing I'd do after 14 weeks of bedrest would definitely NOT be cleaning, but whatever floats your boat. We'll be there this weekend, so let me know if you change your mind about getting some help - love you!! Love, Tooty

Lauren said...

I will never EVER forget the time that I was bed rested with Gracee. Karl and you were able to bring me the most FABULOUS shrimp dinner. I really appreciated that. :) And... I SO KNOW your pain about NO marital privileges. I went without for 8 months! Too much info.. sorry :)

Naomi said...

Alright I must soap box...I have been in this same spot several times. I am not a great house keeper to start with, throw on 3 babies in 3 years and a husband gone half the year, the 'ands' go on. But there are some things you can't do, so for you it's shouldn't do by yourself, we all know you can do. Super cleaning and stressing about it are some of those things, Whether your pregnancy risks are gone or not. Stress is bad for mom and baby. It took a lot for me to allow someone in my disaster area. But when I humbled myself enough to say OK, no one judged me. And it was so nice to be able to start with a clean kitchen,or a vacuumed floor. I know it feels like standing naked on stage, but it's really more like ripping off a band-aid. Painful at first but when it comes off look at the nice clean kitchen floor. Sorry I don't live closer...Would someone up there go break down Niki's door and do her dishes please?
take CARE of yourself.