Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mom I think I have a problem...

7 words I really don't like to hear. Usually they mean something is broken (person or thing), treats need to be made and taken somewhere in the next hour or I have a project I have known about for ages and it's due tomorrow. Well Kippi and Rieken had been playing so well all day. Imagine my not so shocked reaction to hear those words come out of Kippi's mouth... I mean really how long can a good thing last? Like I said they had been playing for a while and having such a great time and, oh did I mention they were outside? Yeah mix that in and flush goes the sanity right? So anyhow, Kippi comes in and says the words I dread. I ask her very calmly (in my opinion) what this problem might be. As she is standing there not saying a word looking guilty as sin all sorts of possibilities go through my mind. Did she break my wicker chairs did she tear a whole in the trampoline did she somehow hurt the freezer, did something less pleasant happen to Rieken (who had yet to show his face) ... Ya know the usual. So, she is standing there and I notice for the first time she actually looks uncomfortable. Not like my conscience is getting to me uncomfortable but, physically uncomfortable. It takes a lot for Kippi to feel uncomfy in her own skin and clothes for that matter so I just can't think what it could be. I asked her if she was sick or needed to go potty and she said, “No” but wouldn't elaborate. I sat quietly waiting for her to tell me what was up. She must have decided it wasn't that bad after all because she was like, Oh never mind it's nothing and took off outside again. This got me curious. So, I sat outside watching for anything unusual that would clue me into a problem that was so important I needed to be told. Nothing I tell you not a thing did I notice out of the ordinary. Well, after a while it was time to come in and eat lunch. So Rieken and Kippi troop in and place their orders and things are great. Rieken eventually decided he was ready for a nap so I suggest he go potty first just in case. All of the sudden Kippi looks all worried and the min I started for the bathroom to check on Rieken she pipes up with, “um, Mom what would happen if you put sand down someone’s pants and left it there?" I was like, "well your bum would get really raw and hurt plus that’s just gross why?" To this She says, "And what would happen to the person who put the sand down the pants? Are they in trouble?" Okay I think I see where this is going right? Then she says really fast before I can even name a consequence, "What if they knew it was naughty to put sand down someone’s pants so to make them feel better they put sand down their own pants to just to show them it's ok and so they won't tell on you?” At this point I notice she is standing all funny and Rieken is screeching because the toy paper (toilet paper) is hurty on his bum. I finally put two and two together asked her how that decision was working out for her and point out how wrong it was to do that. Then I put them both in the tub for a thorough bum scrubbing. I didn’t think it was necessary to punish her further given her bum is just as raw as Rieken’s

4 comments:

Jan said...

That is what I call a "bummer".

Rosie said...

You have the greatest kid stories!

D.C. Confidential said...

Hm. Well, you have to give Kippi points for recognizing what she'd done was probably not a good choice and then inflicting the same punishment on herself. I doubt she'll ever do that again, eh?

Which reminds me of the time the Nortons lived next door to us in Provo. My dad had a rebuilt engine sitting on a block outside the garage. Bill, Alan, and I dumped sand in that, not realizing that was a bad idea or that it was an engine with a purpose. Boy, did we catch hell for that! Oy.

owona said...

HAHA! That is super funny, although it could not have felt too good. I have to say that was pretty smart for Kippi to think of a way to make Rieky "feel better" enough not to tell on her. That totally makes me think of something you would have done!