Monday, June 9, 2008

Pictures a la Niki!



















Today we came home from the hospital and it is so nice to be back with my family. For those of you who want the scoop here ya go.




Thursday I went in for my regular doctors apt. I had and NST (a monitor they place on your belly to track baby movements, heart rate and uterine contractions) and an ultrasound. During the NST the baby wasn't really moving very much so they popped me into ultrasound where they did a biophysical profile. During the Bio they are looking for things like movement, tone, breathing motions, fluid level and heart beat. Each thing is given a point value with the most possible points =ing 10. We got 2 out of 10. He got a point for fluid level and heartbeat. The ultrasound tech pushed and shoved and did everything to get him to move and he just wouldn't do it. So, they gave me some food in the hopes it would perk him up and we re-took both the NST and the ultrasound. We flunked. He still wasn't budging. We were worried, stressed and scared for the little man to say the least. And to be honest at first I was bummed because as you all saw my living room I was obviously NOT prepared and I felt like I was getting ripped time wise. I got over it when they pretty much said get your kids handled and meet us in the hospital in two hours. Dr.O was a bit upset about the food because that meant he had to wait 10 hours to do the c-section and he wanted to do it ASAP in the end he settled for getting us into the hospital and monitoring us until he could do it. We farmed out the kids. We want to Say a huge Thank you to Maren for taking the boys overnight on such short notice and washing the car seat! And a HUGE thanks to Stacia and Kristen for taking Kippi and taking care of her on her special day and keeping her overnight on such short notice. You were both so great. It really made her graduation day the special one we were hoping for.
Back to the hospital... We got monitored and had another ultrasound. The baby did better during that test but he still wasn't really up to par and the decision was made to take him for sure. He was born at 9:49 pm and it was a dang good thing too. There was a ton of meconium and it was really thick. What this meant was at some point he had gone into stress and had a bowel movement in utero. The fact that he didn't have to go the NICU was such a huge blessing. They really worked hard to get his lungs suctioned out so he was breathing well. If we would have waited even until Monday the results could have been so much worse. Hanging out in meconium can cause the baby to go septic and sometimes they can't bounce back if it has been to long. We are so grateful for a doctor who did such a wonderful job and for the nurses and ultrasound tech who where so on top of things. We are beyond grateful for the privilege of bringing home a healthy and beautiful baby boy. He is perfect!




Up until now I thought we only had one baby mold but we apparently have at least two in the closet. He has DARK brown hair verging on black and he just has a different look then the others had. This is such a shock I can’t even tell you. He still had some of the Rimmasch traits I have so grown to love like the cheeks and the fingers which frankly I would be sad if he didn't have. He may not have the red hair but he sure has the temper of a red head. He can go from 0-60 in no time if you get him naked or make him wait to be fed. However most of the time he is just a doll. He is very mellow and laid back. What a nice change of pace for sure. All in all He is wonderful and we are just thankful to bring him into the crazy life we live. We also just wanted to make a couple of big fat shout outs. First, to Marilyn for being so great. Thanks for spreading the word (in the ward) and getting the ball rolling when we needed it the most. Dinner was fantastic and a huge help to say the least. You are amazing. And to Kathy who flew up here on short notice (even though she hadn’t planned on coming for another week) and helped Karl with the kids and the house ( I know amazing!). You have been wonderful and we appreciate everything you have done! Thanks to everyone for your love and support we are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends.

17 comments:

tharker said...

The first picture of Tiernen sucking his thumb...oh my goodness! And those cheeks are so sweet.

Whatever Rimmasch "mold" he came from, he is for sure a gorgeous baby!

I am so happy that everything turned out okay, and that your doctor was so on top of things. Congratulations again!

lindsay>boo said...

Congrats! He's beautiful! I'm really glad everything ended up okay. It sounded like it was pretty scary there for a bit.

Jessica said...

He is so adorable! Congratulations!

I have video and picture of Kippi at graduation. I need to get it on a DVD and I will get it to you.

Arlene said...

Cute as heck! I love the dark hair! Thanks for the detailed report. I am glad everyone is doing well!

You are right about Kathy, she's a gem. We need her around our house. I have a baby blanket a friend crochetted for Abby and it is coming undone. I have wrapped it up so the girls don't unravel it anymore; but Kathy or Aunt Suzie are the only ones I know who can fix it. Can you spread the word to Kathy? I need to catch her before she heads home if she comes via SLC.

Heather said...

HE is adorable!! Congrats on the safe delivery.

Lauren said...

He is so cute! Nice work, guys! I'm glad that you had a great Dr. and other's who were trained correctly. Thank goodness he's here and ok! I love him and I wish I could hold and kiss him!

Jen said...

Wow, that kid is so dang cute. O my. I love the one with his little hand on his cheek. O, so so cute.

Rosie said...

He is such a beautiful baby Niki! I am so glad that everything turned out good and you guys are home! Your hubby is such a great guy for giving updates too, he had me chuckling:)

owona said...

He's just amazing. I'm glad you're home now and you're both doing well. I miss you guys already, and can't wait to see you this weekend! Love ya! Love, Toot

Kevin & Carrie Poledna Family said...

Congratulations! I had NO idea since I haven't been online much in the past 10 days, so conveniently... Grrr... Anyhow, I TOLD you he would have brown hair and surprise you! And I think he has a little Rimmasch but that he is definitely more Niki! He is DARLING--you have such cute babies! I love the pictures and I am so glad that everything turned out okay in a potentially scary situation. Yeahhh! I can't wait to hear/see more about him and everyone else! Love, Carrie

Ms. Kristen said...

Kippi was so cute on the night she stayed...she missed you so much! She couldn't understand how a boy baby could look his girl mommy? Grammie told her that baby looked just like his mom! She was so cute at the graduation! i am so glad that you made it possible for her to be there!
Tell Jessica I would love a copy of the DVD!

Naomi said...

HOORAY!!!! What a beautiful baby boy. I'm so glad for you and for how well things went. Nice work! Now go eat some sugar.

Islandalli said...

What a cutie! Hope you get some down time for a while. Enjoy your new addition.
~Alli

Susan Petersen said...

Wow! What a good looking kid. Congratulations Niki & Haus!

lovely lindsay said...

welcome baby!
love, lindsay

Jan said...

Beautiful Niki. Congratulations to your wonderful family..

meohmyers said...

Oh my goodness! What a gorgeous baby boy you've got there! I'm so glad everything went okay. What a scare! I hope you're getting some rest and adjusting okay to life with 4! He's just beautiful! Congrats!!