Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Do you have a hidden talent?

For FHE on Monday we decided to have a big food filled Labor Day dinner and a talent show put on by the kids. It was very spur of the moment so nothing fancy was expected or needed. In fact the idea was to have each of the kids think about something (a talent) that they are good at and enjoy doing and have them share it with us after dinner. Each of the kids got really excited and thought (talked) about it pretty much all day. Kelten decided he would play a song on the piano, Kippi decided she would show us how well she could ride her bike, Rieken wanted to do summersaults, Aleah and caleb where going to dance ,Tiernen was going to do high fives and cheer for everyone And Conner was going to duel with light sabers. All very talent show worthy and exciting to boot. Well, as we were sitting down pigging out on our FABULOUS meal I kept hearing a cow munching (someone eating with their mouth open). Now I ask you this who in their right mind can enjoy eating while listening to someone else do it and loudly at that? Not me. It has to be my numero UNO biggest pet peeve of ALLL TIME!!! I know very petty and hard to image given I can handle boogies, blood, belching, crumbs in my bed (sometimes it happens people), and all sorts of nastiness. But it is. Now I need to fill you in on a little secret. We have assigned seating because 11 of us are bound to have issues if we aren't careful who sits by whom and I have been assigned to sit by my nephew Conner. I think it's only fair at this point to mention I did the assigning and it seemed logical at the time but that was before... Before the munching and crunching that is. Holy Hannah that boy enjoys his food VERY audibly. Now this has been a real trial for the both of us as he is constantly chomping and smacking and I am constantly asking him to pah-lease chew with his mouth closed.
So back to Monday at Dinner :)
Here he is chomping away and here I am asking him over and over to stop when Kelten got asked to leave the table for less than stellar manners. Well I couldn't help it. I asked Conner if he wanted to move over to Kelten's spot and finish Dinner there. I really thought I was being all sly about the whole "get your chompers as far away from my ears as possible thing" by being all ,”ooh look you get to sit in Kelten’s spot” thing. Apparently I’m not as sly as I like to think because Conner goes off and asks why. (Of course he would) “Well” I said, “wouldn't you like to sit over there by Rieken?” Conner says, "Yeah I guess but is it because I chew with my mouth full?" (Gulp) now I feel bad about being so petty and then he says, “Because it's my hidden talent you know I love to do it and I'm really good at it too."
Now I ask you how a person can argue with that.
And so he did (munch and crunch…LOUDLY) and I didn't mind one bit because really who am I to deny someone from using their talents even if it annoys the daylight out of me? (Especially when they are clear at the other end of the table :)

4 comments:

The Owona Family said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! I love reading all the happenin' news!

This post cracks me up! First of all, I know how much you HATE the chewing with your mouth open thing, so good job on restraining yourself and not reaching across the table to strangle Conner. I appreciate the fact that you didn't murder my nephew. Also, isn't humbling to realize we're not as clever as we think? The moving seats thing was a good idea...but, yeah, you got out-clevered by your nephew. He is sooooo funny! I love that he came up with that!

Hope you have a great day in the "Fun House" of kids over there. Love ya!

tharker said...

I am loving all of these fun stories! I'm with you though Niki, I cannot stand hearing anyone chew their food. I was assigned to sit by my mother during meals, and even though I love the woman to death, the sound of her eating drove me CRAZY!

Conner is one funny (and talented) kid!

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!